Wednesday, May 13, 2015

EDUC 638, Introduction





Introduction:

My name is Amanda Parton and I am from North Carolina. I am pursuing a Master of Education in Teaching and Learning with an Educational Technology and Online Instruction Cognate of which I am beginning to see the end in sight. I hope to finish up my degree by October. I have been a Radiographer and CT Technologist for 14 years now and was recently given the opportunity to come out of the clinical setting into the world of academia where I am now an Instructor for the Imaging Sciences Department at South College, Asheville. This has been a very exciting, yet overwhelming transition for me as I have never taught in the classroom before. The verse of scripture I have been leaning on lately is from Psalm 61:2 that says “when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I”. I have been extremely nervous and anxious about entering into this program, but with much prayer and support, I know that this is where God has led me and I look forward to fulfilling this next goal. South College is a small, private school with campuses both in Knoxville, TN and Asheville, NC. In hope of getting many of our programs online within the next year, I am pursuing this degree to try to aid in that transition.

I have been married for 13 years now to a wonderful, Christian man who is the love of my life and we have two wonderful daughters, Ellie who is eight and Kimsey who is 2 years old. Both of my daughters are my testimonies to God’s great love, Ellie who was a miracle when I was certain I could not have any children, and Kimsey through an adoption that literally happened overnight…but that is a story for another time. God has been so good to our family and I am so grateful and blessed. My husband is attending seminary at this time, also, so we are all very busy with lots going on! We enjoy just being together and appreciate each moment we have together. He has also become the new Director of our Homeless shelter in our community and we really feel like God is opening a huge mission field for us with these people in our local area. We are very excited about the opportunities God has in store for our family.


I look forward to getting to know each of you personally over the next 8 weeks. I promise to be praying for each of you and ask that you also remember me and my family in your prayers as well. I have a lot to learn about technology and distance learning and look forward to doing that with each of you. I have enjoyed already learning a great deal about technology in education and can't wait to learn how we can use effectively design it in to our programs. Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda!

    How lucky you are to be in Asheville! I did my undergrad at UNC Asheville and lived there for seven years before moving back to my hometown.

    I think that it is great that you found courses like this one to help your transition into your position. I have found that many experiences that I have had through Liberty are useful in the classroom setting. I have been a classroom teacher for a few years now and nothing is scarier than your very first day ever in the classroom. After that, you learn and grow right along with the students. It's an amazing process that I still enjoy. We are coming to the end of our school year and I can't wait to see what my students have learned and I get the opportunity to tell them all that I have learned from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda.

    My name is Crystal and I am too seeking my Masters of Education in Educational Leadership. This course is my third to last course and I am so excited about being so close to the finish line. I plan on being finished by the end of this summer. My husband is currently in North Carolina for an extended business trip. This is our first time being a part but thank you God for helping me to get through this. It is also our children’s first time being away from their father. I ask that you pray for my family during this time. I have a two year old daughter and a five year old son. I will also pray for your family as well.
    I am a 5th grade classroom teacher. I've been teaching for seven years and I really enjoy it. I believe that I am called to teach children who are in need; children living in poverty and/or their home life is not ideal. I believe that that is where God is leading me.
    I love reading about your testimony and the positive changes in your life. God is so good. I believe you and your husband will do absolutely wonderful with the new position God has given you both.
    I too look forward to learning with you and wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I enjoyed getting to know you a bit through your introduction video. You seem to have a full, blessed life. God really has so much to give us and teach us through our families, careers, and ministries. I look forward to hearing more about you and learning from you through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I enjoyed getting to know you a bit through your introduction video. You seem to have a full, blessed life. God really has so much to give us and teach us through our families, careers, and ministries. I look forward to hearing more about you and learning from you through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I enjoyed getting to know you a bit through your introduction video. You seem to have a full, blessed life. God really has so much to give us and teach us through our families, careers, and ministries. I look forward to hearing more about you and learning from you through this course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Asheville! It's about an hour and a half from where I live. My daughter and I like to ride over the mountain from time to time and shop. There's a little store where she likes to buy her olive oil and, of course, we can't forget The Barkery. Not sure if that's the actual name, but she gets her dog treats there. Cute!

    Anyway, welcome to class!

    ReplyDelete