Saturday, August 29, 2015

EDUC 696 - Discussion #1

 Hello everyone! My name is Amanda Parton and I am from a small town in Western North Carolina near Asheville. My husband and I have two wonderful daughters who are nine years old and 2 years old, so needless to say, we have our hands full! I am a new instructor at South College – Asheville in the Imaging Sciences Department and am pursuing my Master's degree in Education. Although I have an extensive clinical background in healthcare, the academic and educational world is somewhat new to me. I have discovered that beginning a new career and educational path at the same time to be very challenging and exhausting while still trying to manage a family and life as well. Please pray for me! I am very excited about new opportunities, though, and very excited to be a student here at Liberty. I look forward to getting to know each of you during this class.
I found the presentation about professionalism to be a good refresher to what most of us already know about appropriate forms of professional behavior. My definition of professionalism would encompass elements from all three views given on this video including a modest dress code, a confident demeanor, a Christian attitude and stance regarding decision-making, respect for authority, and the display of a work ethics regarding time and attendance. Each of these elements are essential in creating and solidifying professionalism within one's career. I would also have to add that Christ-like actions and reactions are probably the most critical elements that can quickly make or break a professional appearance. Over and under reaction to situations can cause judgment to be placed on one's professional behavior. As Dr. Moore-Austin explained, we should always present ourselves with the intention of representing a Holy Father and we should always consider what Christ would do in our situation (Moore-Austin, 2012).
When this course is finished and my degree finally complete, I want to take Dr. Michelle Goodwin's advice (2012) and spend some time studying and observing some true role models and leaders within my place of business. People-watching can be very interesting and informative. Unfortunately, professionalism is not one of those areas we can easily learn from a book. Sometimes these traits presented in various situations need to be observed and considered further so that reflection and follow-up can be done. I also plan to continually master these skills by purposeful and conscientious thought in my daily activities with students and with administration.
Hope you all have a wonderful week and I look forward to reading your posts!

Reference:

Liberty University. (2012). Presentation: Professionalism.  Retrieved from https://learn.liberty.edu/webapps/blackboard/content/listContent.jsp?course_id=_248507_1&content_id=_8626741_1




No comments:

Post a Comment